Icon Audio HP 205D Headphone Amplifier - HP 205D
- BrandsIcon Audio
- Product Code: Icon Audio HP 205D Headphone Amplifier - HP 205D
- Availability: 1
- W.E. 205D Directly Heated Triode
- Pure Valve Circuit
- Impedance matching 16 to 600 Ohms
- Single Ended Design
- Valve rectifier
- Bluetooth Option
- 205D Upgrade option
- Capacitor Upgrade Option
We believe that Directly Heated Triodes bring you closer to the music!
Many audiophiles have discovered that a simple well designed valve amplifier can give greater purity and intimacy than more complex solid state designs.
This is especially true of headphone amplifiers and the 1920s W.E. 205D is about as simple as a valve gets!
Taking inspiration from our highly rated HP8 headphone amplifier and the remarkable WE 205D valve, we have designed a deceptively simple amplifier
which has surpassed even our own expectations!
The 205D is a Directly Heated Triode designed by the Western Electric Co in the 1920s and is probably the oldest valve in current production!
As a small power output valve it has all the right qualities for headphone use, being very linear in operation. High end headphones can be very revealing sounding
clinical and overly bright with some amplifiers. Sonic presentation with the 205D and our output transformers has the highest definition and incredible dynamics but in nice way, more vivid and warmer sounding. Completely free of fatigue.
Headphones have the ability to convey incredible detail and insight into a recording so careful circuit design is called for.
Like any valve amplifier the output transformers are crucial to the final quality and our own custom designed and wound transformers play an important part in this. Also an advanced design using Directly Heated Triodes such as this demands the highest quality power supplied by outboard power supply using a time honoured valve rectifier and choke circuit.
Although headphones have only a tiny power requirement of no more than one Watt, we have taken the same care and attention to detail that is required with any “high end” design, every component is chosen carefully to avoid negatively influencing the ultimate sound quality. As in our other designs the HP205D is hard wired throughout (without using printed circuit boards) not only for better sound quality by using full size components and easier upgrades but for easy future service.
The 205D is driven by an ECC88 a modern valve which ideally complements the 205D technically and sonically.
The HP205D may be used as a stand-alone unit or as part of a hi fi system.
The optional Bluetooth receiver make the HP 205D very versatile in use.
Specifications and Features
• Built in Bluetooth option
• All hand wired point to point
• No printed circuit board to ‘colour’ sound
• Japanese Blue ALPS volume pot.
• Class A, all Triode circuit
• Output impedance matching from 16 to 600Ω
• 2 x 205D for output 2x ECC88 input valve
• Psvane and Full Music upgrade valves available
• Signal to noise level -90db
• Freq response better than 20hz-20kHz +0 –0.2db
• High quality oversize resistors
• SCR audio capacitors, upgrades available
• Custom hand wound output transformers
• Ceramic valve holders for minimum leakage
• Silver PTFE audio cable
• Gold plated Input/outputs
• Loop through facility
• 350mv input sensitivity.
• Comprehensive manual supplied
• 220/240volts 36 watts.
• 16cm W, 27 D, 16 H, 7kg
• Carton 37Wx27Dx30H 7.0 kg
• C E, ROHS and WEEE compliant
(Provisional specifications subject to change)
Worldwide ship service where the Distributor or Dealer not exist
Free ship cost in Europe for order up to 500€ (except speakers)
Free ship cost Worldwide for order up to 2000€ (except speakers)